Sunday, September 9, 2012

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Many of you are like me in that we have come to love the sushi places popping up everywhere.  There are so many cool and tasty things to eat.  Sushi is, indeed, one of my favorite foods...next to Thai...of course. 
So, when I was surfing around on Netflix yesterday after the ride, a nice little documentary plopped in my son and I's lap.  "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" is the name of it.  My son doesn't watch these sorts of shows very often, but he seemed intrigued about the 80+ year old who charges almost 300 dollars per meal at his place in Japan.  As we started watching, popcorn in hand, I couldn't help but think how much I hated the taste of it.
 
Sukiyabashi Jiro 
This man can make some truly magnificent food with none of the crap that we Americans place on our own sushi.  Jiro is an icon.  He has spent his whole life mastering the art of sushi.  And, to his credit, still thinks he has a long way to go.  Japan has him recognized as a living national treasure.  This documentary is not just about cooking, or the lack of, but about life and what one must do in order to achieve greatness. 
This is, without a doubt, one of the best documentaries I have ever seen.  Give it a try.  You will come away awe-inspired!

1 comment: