Sunday, March 10, 2013

A rebuttal...

I read a blog post this morning.  It was an interesting read on the justification of riding ultras and riding in general.  I kind of read it in disbelief, though.  Why would one put themselves through all of the training, and the so called emotional detachment of not living a "balanced life" for the sake of just not being gruff?  There are so many wonderful things to do in this world.  Why waste it on something you don't enjoy? Why do you do what you do?  Surely there has to be a reason aside from just having a goal to complete or because your family is "dysfunctional"...? 
In my efforts to be a reasonably descent cyclist, all of the so called negative aspects of training, were all negated by the lack of negativity.  Truly enjoying what one does for a hobby is wonderful!  If you have more than one, that is cool too!  Yes, there are boring days, but life is boring sometimes.  People usually have one question when they learn of my riding and that is how do you manage to put in the miles?  The answer is not as complex as they think it is.  It doesn't require me to be gone everyday for three hours at a time.  Averaging above 250 miles a week is actually not a huge task.  I found I was doing it with only a minimum of time taken out of my life.  More often than not, it is making choices like riding to the rides to add miles.  Most of the rides would take that long to drive to anyway.  I know some people who work out at the gym more than I ride my bike hour wise.  I even manage to find rides where I just smell the roses and check out the scenery.  Watching the sunrise on Saturday mornings is amazing.  Most people nowadays sleep in from staying out on the Friday before.  This also gives me the chance to be get back to being a good dad to my ever so wonderful son.
In the blog post, Ultra cyclists are placed into categories:


Top Ranked:  most of these people are rich...and only do it because they want to stay busy...
My thoughts are that I haven't met anybody yet...yes it would take a crud load of money to travel all over to different places to race.  Many of these people are fundraising and sponsored and manage money very well. Most of the people I have met are older and retired.  Some do have good jobs...rich?  I'm sure there are rich lazy people around as well...
Really Good:  These people try to live the ever impossible balanced life that will never exist because they live in denial....
My response is whatever...it must all be negative...a balanced life is great.  I think that if one has a balanced life, he/she is not living in denial.
The Gifted with Talent:  These people are forty and play video games on their moms couch.  They only don't read this person's blog because he/she is lazy...
Talent doesn't make a rider only.  I think the blogger knows this deep down.  Talent must be shaped and worked or there is no reward, period. The whole statement is fallacy...

Why does it seem prevalent for one person to place anyone into categories? What about those really good cyclists who just work hard (friends, family, work) (not crazy for doing so) for everything they have and love to ride a bicycle for fun and fitness?  This person likes to make goals so he/she can continue to improve. They have a wonderful family and nobody in the family is suffering.    Yes, there are struggles in life; especially in this economy of ever increasing have and have nots, but there is hope in life. I do commend the blogger's riding.  He has been around for a long time and one has to respect that, but at what cost to him does he do it?
I have been off the bike for about 6 days with only some light spinning to recover from some fantastic riding.  This is not turning me into a gruff.  I have other things that I love to do.  My bike is probably loving the time alone to meditate on how it is nice to not have to carry around all of the weight.
My suggestion to anyone who wants to ride a bicycle.  Do it because you love it.  Do it because you want to improve the environment.  Or, do it because it is a great way to get in shape and meet like minded friends who love to ride.  Don't do it because you hate it.  I do understand that everyone is different, but to hate something is too much energy.  A good suggestion may be to add something you do love to it.  Like, if you like to teach, maybe teach kids at the YMCA proper cycling rules and how to ride.  I love just showing up to rides and talking to people and then enjoying some fun afterwards chatting about the ride and how life is.  This is fun!  Have fun!  Be merry!  Enjoy life!  And, then write about it:-)

 
Live, Love, and Have Fun!!



4 comments:

  1. It's cyclical for me James,I go through periods of intensity on the bike motivated by personal goals set. When they are achieved the biking goes into a stasis mode,where I rediscover the love I have for my current flying need.(I am retired from years of commercial diving which is even closer to flying,since you are balanced in water without the weight on the ground.) I love to fly therefore I love to ride.(re-worked Cartesian adage).In any case it is great to have goals in biking and it is great when goals are achieved.Any day is a good day to ride a bent.Have a bent day. Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response:-) I tell people that a bad day on the bike is better than no day on the bike. But, I don't live or die by it. Life goes on and we are who we are. You too have a bent day:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, I have been in the mental health biz for a long time and what always amazes me is how complex and strange some peoples motives can be. Often, their explanations of their reasons aren't even accurate in the end. I had the same reaction to the blog post that you did. There is enough struggle with living a balanced life already. The only pain I am willing to inflict on myself, is the pain that leads to my long term joy. Why would one spend hours and hours on the bike if not to end up happier?
    Bruce Robertson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the response, Bruce. There are so many things in life that pain me every day...so many. Why do anything that increases it? I ride my bike to have fun:-) Some days are grueling. But, you're right! Why do it if you're not happier in the end? I am!

      Delete