Thursday, August 16, 2012

Beat the Heat!!

There was a day not so long ago when my dad would, not so much refuse, as just kind of go along with the thought of riding a recumbent.  He was good enough on his Trek to do rides like The Death Ride in Markleyville, CA and America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride.  He loved to ride.  He came down to Florida about 4 years ago to do an MS 150 with me and we had a great time!  At the end of the ride, I let him ride my Newly purchased Corsa and he smiled, but wouldn't quite give in.
Fast forward to 3 months ago and he comes out for another visit.  He didn't want to bring his bike, but wanted to ride with me.  I still had the same Corsa, but had since moved into a larger framed one to better fit my body.  I set him up and we did a short ride from the house.  He would swerve a little, but not bad.  Then we went and did a bicycle safety awareness ride around the local lake.  He was hooked, I think, after that ride.  He was still wobbly, but enjoyed the view and the stress free ride it gave him.  No more pain in his wrists, shoulders, neck, back, butt...well, you get the picture.  Anyway, he purchased the bike and had it shipped out to his house.
He has steadily been riding and improving and going so far as to ride and pick up coffee and then ride to work while drinking it...LOL!
This weekend he did his first sprint triathlon on it.  He did a fantastic job!  He even made it into the local paper as the oldest competitor.  Here is the pic.  Thank you Keith Trout for taking it.  Good photo.  Also, of note in the photo, is my old high school football and track coach, Scott Lommori (no helmet..grrr).  Incidentally, my dad was Scott's track coach in high school.  Dad is pulling him around pretty good and smiling!  Great job, Dad!  Love you and keep up the great work!!  Just make sure you keep your eyes on the road and not on the airplanes:-)
Great job, Dad!!  Picture taken by Keith Trout of RGJ

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nice story, Jm. And thanks for helping me transition to a great bike. Baccetta. I love that bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad, people should inspire to be as fit as you are at 64 years of age! Keep up the great work and hopefully we'll ride again soon:-)

    ReplyDelete