Sunday, August 26, 2012

Polk County Time Trials Finally

This event was the last of a series.  Once again it was time for me to pack up the bike and go to a time trial.  The week had been a long one as far as exercise was concerned and I was sore enough not to be able to walk that well from the idiotic amount of running I had done.  Still, the thought of missing the final time trial was more painful to my brain than the soreness my legs provided.  So, off I went...packing Jared along for the ride to take some pictures.  I asked him he he wanted to go watch his dad race and he shrugged his shoulders.  I then asked if he wanted to use my camera to take pictures and he very willingly changed his mind.  All pictures on this post are taken by him! Enjoy!


The starting time was changed in order to be able to warm up in the light and I wish we had gotten there a little sooner as it started at 7:30 and we arrived with only 10 minutes of warm up time remaining before the start. 
Off I went down the road to try to circulate the blood in my sore legs.  After about 2 miles I turned around and headed back at a decent clip and made it in time to see the group form ready to roll and the hand-cyclist leaving on his run.  He is fast, but not as fast and it's nice to have everyone finish at about the same time.

Hand-cyclist Dobe Mark Dobersch!  Yes, he's fast!
As Rebecca rolled by on her bike, I asked her what number I would be and she said last, but left an opening behind me in case another rider could make it from work and he could pull in behind me and not interrupt the group.  This was great!  A few strong riders showed up including my racing partner from the Trail to Trail race, Jason and another rider, Kevin, who would start directly in front of me in the line.

Kevin on aero bike with deep wheels and aero bars minus helmet
Jason would be riding in the Merckx division so he would be slower on this ride compared to his time trial bike.  Merckx bikes have no aero advantage as explained here.

Jason riding Merckx style (normal) bike.

Two more aero riders above...Brian and Patty

Rebecca in good form ready for state!

As the start came closer, I felt kind of at ease, really.  I didn't have anything to prove.  My legs were tired and I would do what I could.  Off I went, gradually increasing speed this time to 28mph and holding it in a light tailwind.

Me at the start pushing off the seat and not spinning like I should!
I didn't want to over do it as I knew I wouldn't have enough left to come back under a headwind at good speed.  I managed to keep this speed for about 4 miles before dropping to 27 or so and holding just above 27 for an average.  At the turn around, all thoughts were on traffic and luckily no cars were in site so I stuck the turn perfectly for the first time in the series.  Man, it was hard ramping back up to speed.  I couldn't hold 27 and had to do my best for 26.  My legs were burning and my lungs were fried.  I would spin my wheels up and then shift up to a harder gear, but didn't have enough to keep the momentum.  This went on and on until I just couldn't spin my wheels up anymore.  I just picked a slower speed and tried like hell to keep it.  This seemed to work.  It was all I could do to hold 24mph across the line for the finish.
After the finish, I turned around and headed back out and tried to spin off some of the newly built up lactic acid.  What's more is this wasn't the end...After all the work was done the fun had just begun.  The rest of the Faith Runners Group was going to do intervals.  Of course, I was going to stay.  This included a 10 minute all out effort and a cool down to the cone and repeat 5 times...It was all I could do to make my legs function, but I knew they would thank me later.  After the last out, we were able to ride a nice slow pace back to the start.  The wind started to get bad and we were glad it wasn't as bad earlier that morning.

Ready for all that fried food and gravy!!! 
Then it was off to Cracker Barrel for some breakfast payed for by Faith Runners and awards were dolled out.  It was then that I learned my time was just about 14 seconds from my PR.  I finished first in my division so I received a very nice jersey that fits perfect!  Then Rebecca passed out some backpacks to everyone for finishing with t-shirts inside.  Jared got one too with a shirt that fits!  Then, after a pause, she told everyone that for a surprise gift for breaking the Polk County Time Trial record, I would receive a brand new helmet!  What?!  I won a helmet?!!  Awesome!!!

Awards
Once again, I want to thank Faith Runners for putting on a wonderful event!  And, as much as I don't enjoy the extreme effort, meeting new friends and riding with good riders makes it all worthwhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment