Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Highlands Bikefest is coming...Update 11/4/12

Update:  A scheduling conflict has come up and I will not be able to go:-(  I am incredibly sad about this but it is for the best.
There is this certain type of euphoria that accompanies me when I ride my bike.  I have yet to figure out exactly how to describe it, but it is just there along for the ride.  Don't get me wrong...the rides can be long, hard, and painful.  But, riding brings me joy not just because it is fun, but because it lowers my stress levels, makes me fit, I am able to meet new people, and it allows me to compete where otherwise I wouldn't be able to.
The improvement is showing as well and there has been a marked improvement in speed and endurance throughout this season.  The rides I would normally fear like the Tuesday night crit rides, I have learned to actually like and enjoy; keeping myself away from danger and trying to stay in the front of some really talented riders.  And, they actually are starting to say "hi" and welcome the strange rider on the strange bike...even so much to offer the tips I need for riding in such a competitive group:-)
But, I haven't been able to get to some of the longer rides away from town due to income so I welcome the thought of the few that are located near me.  The Highlands Bikefest is coming in December and I can't wait to see some old friends and meet some new ones and laugh and not have to worry or be forced to think about the other things.   Here is a picture from last year.  It was nice the first half of the century but the last half of the century on Saturday was rather miserable.  The whole weekend was great, though;-)
 

It is also interesting to see my weight in the picture and know that last year I weighed in at 215 during this ride...yikes!  I am down to 180 now:-)
I am really welcoming the thought of just being in the moment and sharing the fun rides that I have had with some great people.  Bring it on and let the fun begin:-)

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy seeing these long lines of bikes riding in sync.

    ReplyDelete