Saturday, July 28, 2012

Polk County Time Trial Series 4 of 5

There were actually 6 races scheduled but one was rained out.  Today's time trial was originally scheduled for last monday, but it was rained out as well and we were tired of losing out to the rain.  So...
Let me preface this race with the fact that I do NOT like time trials.  Maybe if they were shorter...7 miles maybe, but 10 is a beast of a not so good time.  Man, I wish I had the energy to yell at the course with my tongue hanging out and the blank stare I get as my legs and lungs have nothing left at mile 8:-)
This was a morning ride.  I actually thought this was a great idea as the heat is incredible in the afternoons, even with the rain.  It was to start at 7.  No sweat as I was up at 3:-)  So, I spent a few hours applying for a few jobs and it was off to the races.  I managed to pull out without my cooler of ice and water...darn.  So, back I went.  This was going to actually be a long day as after the time trial, the coach was going to have us do a few more for "fun" and mix it up a little for 60 total miles.  I would then come home and put in another 40 and have my century for the week.
I ended up arriving a little late and was only able to put in 5 miles of warm up.  Not bad, but no time to fool with stuff even if I wanted.  My number was given to me with me running 14 and Jason running last.  I had run up against Jason twice before.  He had put in good times and had beaten me twice on his time trial bike.  He then told me that he had a triathlon tomorrow so was worried about his time.  I thought he was sandbagging:-)  He looked good except for his shoes.  He was wearing running shoes...ha ha!!!  Sure enough, his wife came ripping in with just enough time for him to put them on and slot into place.
It was my time.  The guy in front of me was incredibly quick off the line and as much as I wanted to keep it real, it fired me up.  I was off like a shot, increasing my speed to 29 before settling in for the long haul.  There was about a 3 mile per hour headwind so not that bad.  I really wanted the 26mph average I had been working on and I was going to do it or bust trying.  The guy in front of me was hard to catch, but once past there were many riders to pass along the way.  Luckily traffic wasn't that bad.  I made it down to the turn around holding a 27 average and hoping I could keep it.  After ramping up again, the riders began to group up.  Not so much together as this isn't allowed, but almost like they were pacing with one another.  There were two times when I had to wait far another rider to pass so I could pass safely.  I was having doubts on my 27 average at the 8 mile mark.  It was starting to drop and I could hardly think straight.  All I could see was my knees and all I could feel was pain.  The good news was the finish was close.  I remember thinking only 1.5 miles left and looking again and not much had changed.  Then I saw the last rider in the group.  I had managed to catch and pass all the riders but one.  But, at that point, I had nothing left.  In fact, I actually stopped peddling across the line and this isn't like me at all.  I usually finish strong.  I, indeed, had nothing left.  The funny part is that I hit the rumble strips at the end of the road and my chain jumped off and I was able to fix it with my foot while moving.  I think my tension is off as this has been happening a few time the last month in high speed bounces.
I knew I had to keep peddling so I turned around and headed back out for a bit.  When I returned, the numbers were posted and I asked what my time was...22:51...YES!!  This is 40+ seconds faster than my previous time and gives me the record for the course.  For how long, is nobody's guess.  I am proud, though, of something I did and that is what matters. 
Jason did take it easy running a 24 something.  Still not bad, but a far cry from what he is capable of, I am sure.  I will soon find out as we are teamed up together in the Trail to Trail race next weekend.  This is going to be a fun event!  I am taking the 31 mile rod leg and Jason is taking the mountain bike portion.  Kent is even riding out for the night and paring up with a top junior woman rider for the coed race!  Go Bacchetta!!!
Then, off we went for a team time trial and some other fun stuff.  Thank you to Rebecca for the free coaching I received today!  It is always nice to ride with the people you would normally compete against and find out they are really good people.  The guy who sprinted off in front of me used to weigh 310 lbs 10 months ago and is now 205 and a powerful rocket.  So powerful that he broke his Zipp 303 rear out at the base of the hub at the end of the first time trial.  The carbon actually broke!  I hope he can get a new one. 
After I returned home, I jumped on the bike and out I went for another slower 40 miles.  My legs are done:-)

1 comment: