Friday, May 25, 2012

Dirt, Water, and a Pipe Dream


     A year ago, Katy I decided it would be wise to start growing our own vegetables.  We were looking for healthy alternatives and fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and squash sounded like a great idea.  We went to the store and purchased all the materials and then managed to drive the truck full of soil home without blinding the innocent drivers behind us and hand load it into the two planter boxes.  The idea would be to plant one and use the vegetable stock from the first to toil into the other so that this year it would be a better garden. 
The first year was pretty unsuccessful.  And, one of the reasons for this lack of success was an inferior water system:  The good ole’ soaker hose.  While this would seem like a good idea, it just never lived up to the expectations that I had.  So, this year when it came time to plant again, I started out with another soaker and really realized my mistake.
     The plants were suffering and I would need to water on top of the regular water schedule for them to grow.  And, with both boxes now full of veggies, water was needed.  Enter the underground sprinkler system.  I’ve been needing a good project and this would be cheap and easy on my back.  My son could help dig the trenches and sling pipe and we could get it done in a couple hours after work.
     After work, I picked up all the equipment needed and started to dig.  What do you know; it started to rain…HA!!  So my son and I headed in out of the storm to work another day.  So, today, out came the shovels and cement and into the holes we went.  My son fed pipe and it went together in an hour and faster than expected.  We turned the water on and what do you know…WATER!!  Now our vegetables can get the precious water they need in the heat of the day and we can finally start to enjoy the fruits of our labor.  One other side bonus is that I don’t have to worry about all those hoses when I mow and weed eat.  Now, to keep my son out of the tomatoes long enough so I can enjoy some:-)?
     The best part of this experience was after the work was done.  My son and I went for a nice run together.  He rode his bike while I ran the first two miles.  He, then, parked his bike and ran with me the last mile.  Work and reward.  I love that kid!!


  

1 comment:

  1. Keep adding the compost from the kitchen leftover. That will really improve the soil, allowing improved results from year to year. So glad the veggies I gifted you are bringing you good eats and pleasure.

    ReplyDelete